Our resident chef Seb aka Seabiscuit was kind enough to share his brown stew chicken recipe with us. So if you enjoy cooking, this is one that you should definitely try. Eat well.
1 whole chicken (about 3lb)
A splash of lime juice
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
3 stalks of scallion
1 hot pepper (ideally scotch bonnet)
1 sweet pepper
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 inch of ginger
Oil for frying
3 tablespoons of flour
3 sprigs of fresh thyme (or 3 teaspoons of dried thyme)
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon of browning
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 cups of water
- Wash the chicken with a splash of lime juice
- Chop the chicken in to small pieces.
- Chop the onion, scallion, hot pepper, sweet pepper, garlic and tomatoes in to small pieces, grate the ginger and mix the flour in 1/4 cup of water.
- Season the chicken by rubbing in salt, pepper, thyme, onion, scallion, hot pepper, sweet pepper, garlic, ginger and tomato.
- Leave to marinate for one hour
- Scrape the seasoning off the chicken and fry in the oil until the chicken is sealed (about 5 minuted).
- Remove the chicken and drain off the oil.
- Melt the butter in the saucepan and fry the onion, scallion, hot pepper, sweet pepper, garlic, tomatoes and thyme for three minutes
- Add the water, soy sauce and browning and simmer for five minutes.
- Stir the flour/water mixture in to the stew then add the chicken.
- Simmer for five minutes, occasionally stirring gently.
- Serve with rice and peas
Let us know what you think, leave us a comment.
And remember to follow us on twitter @trap_ped and like us on facebook by pressing that button on the right, or find us at facebook.com/trap-ped.com.